Homemade hummus is not only yummy but extremely economical compared to store bought versions. The beans provide a healthy dose of insoluble fiber, which helps feed the healthy bacteria in our colon that in turn produce short chain fatty acids (SCFAs). The SCFAs help support a healthy functioning colon, reducing the risk of colon cancer. Serve with chopped vegetables or warmed whole-wheat pita bread for a healthy, yummy appetizer or snack.
Key Nutrients: molybdenum, manganese, folate, copper, fiber, phosphorus, protein, iron, zinc
6 appetizer servings
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- ¼ cup liquid from the can of chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put garlic in a food processor and pulse until minced.
- Add chickpeas, reserved liquid, lemon juice, tahini, salt and olive oil. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)