Salmon Niçoise Salad
This is a delightful dish during the hot days of summer. This recipe uses salmon instead of the traditional tuna because of its lower mercury content. Adapt it further using the bounty of your CSA or farmers market: if cherry tomatoes and green beans aren’t available, opt for the heirloom tomatoes and haricots verts. If you have an herb garden, use your favorite herbs and make the dish your own.
Key Nutrients: Omega 3-fatty acids, vitamin D, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, fiber
- 2 pounds Pacific-caught salmon (Coho, Sockeye, or King)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound green beans, stems removed and blanched
- 12 oz (roughly a pint) cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, and sliced
- ½ pound of kalamata olives, pitted
- 1-2 heads red leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup scallions (green and white parts)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Prepare grill to 400°F. Place salmon on tin foil skin side down. Brush fish with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for fifteen minutes or until internal cooking temperature is 145°F.
- Place potatoes in a large pot with water to cover by ½ inch. Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat, and cook the potatoes until they are tender and can be pierced with a sharp knife. Drain immediately. As soon as you can handle them, cut in half and place in a medium bowl. Toss with wine and chicken stock, allow potatoes to soak up the liquid. Then add half the vinaigrette to the potatoes and toss.
- While the potatoes boil, whisk the first five ingredients of the vinaigrette in a large glass measuring cup. Add remaining ingredients and gently stir.
- To assemble salad, place lettuce on dinner plate or large bowl. Top with ½ cup of potato mixture, desired amount of green beans, tomatoes, egg, and olives. Drizzle additional vinaigrette as desired.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)